Kawah Putih (literary means White Crater) is actually a crater of a relatively stable volcano called Mt. Patuha, which is located at the south of Bandung, West Java. By the passing of time, the stable crater is filled by water and formed a beautiful lake.
It is said that the crater was firstly discovered by a German botanist called Dr. Junghuhn in 1837. Dr. Junghuhn, who carried out a considerable amount of research in Indonesia, prompted to investigate a local myth about the area. It was said that birds avoid to fly above the area and local people believe the area were somewhat ghostly because many people became sick after entering the forest surrounding the area. On his investigation, Dr. Junghuhn found a beautiful lake with high concentrate of sulfur, which now we know as Kawah Putih.
The lake is called Kawah Putih since the sand and rocks surrounding the lake are all have whitish color because of sulfuric vapor emanating from the lake. The lake itself is an acid lake. Its water is always warm and keeps changing color from bluish to whitish green, depends on the sulfur concentration in the water and the lake’s surrounding temperature. The smell of sulfur is quite strong because there is sulfurous gas continually bubbling out from the lake. Usually the gas becomes thicker by noon, so it appears as if smoke comes out from the lake water. That’s why there is a warning to all visitors not to stay too long in there for the sake of their own health.
I’ve got a big surprise when I opened my blog this evening. To be honest I didn’t believe what I saw. My blog got nominated by my new friend, Allie – the owner of Experiencing Life, for the One Lovely Blog Award! Wow! It’s beyond my expectation since I’m quite new with this blog, and even I’m still learn how to manage it properly. Anyway, thank you so much Allie for nominating me!
These are the rules below, as copied from Experiencing Life for the nominees to follow:
- Thank the person who nominated you – done!
- Add The One Lovely Blog Award to your post – considered done with this post.
Share 7 things about yourself – please see below!
- Pass the award on to 15 nominees – wow it’s really hard 😦 . . but done!
- Include this set of rules – done!
- Inform your nominees by posting a comment on their blogs – hopefully can be done in a moment 🙂
Seven Things about Me:
- I am a proud husband of a lovely wife and a father of two pretty daughters 🙂
- I like simple thing in my life
- I love books
- I love traveling and share the experiences I got to others
- I love taking pictures
- I love handicrafts, sometimes I made some . . .
- Ummm . . What else? Oh yeah I enjoy blogging 😀
One can also branch out a little and nominate a couple of non-wordpress sites if they consider them to be great blogs.
Enjoy the above nominated blogs and… happy blogging!